A Section 8 Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract is called project-based if the rental assistance is attached to the property (i.e., the assistance remains with the property when a tenant moves). Section 8 assistance that is awarded to and remains with the tenant is called tenant-based (for example, the Housing Choice Voucher program is primarily tenant-based).